ImPACT Concussion Management
ImPACT - Immediate Post-concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing
Members of Ministry Door County Medical Center’s Sports Medical Staff are ImPACT Certified.
ImPACT is a computer program, being used by high schools across the nation as well as professional sports such as the NFL, NBA, and NASCAR. This program, is a 20 minute test used to measure aspects of brain function sensitive to concussion. The test is taken both preseason and when a suspected injury occurs.
What is a Concussion?
- A concussion is a disturbance in brain function that occurs following either a blow to the head or as a result of the violent shaking of the head
- In the United States, the annual incidence of sports-related concussion is estimated at 300,000. Estimates regarding the likelihood of an athlete in a contact sport experiencing a concussion may be as high as 19% per season. Although the majority of athletes who experience a concussion are likely to recover, an as yet unknown number of these individuals may experience chronic cognitive and neurobehavioral difficulties related to recurrent injury.
Common Signs and Symptoms:
||Signs reported by athlete:
- Appears to be dazed or stunned
- Is confused about assignment
- Forgets plays
- Is unsure of game, score, or opponent
- Moves clumsily
- Answers questions slowly
- Loses consciousness (even temporarily)
- Shows behavior or personality change
- Forgets events prior to hit (retrograde amnesia)
- Forgets events after hit (anterograde amnesia)
- Balance problems or dizziness
- Double or fuzzy vision
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Feeling sluggish
- Feeling "foggy"
- Change in sleep pattern
- Concentration or memory problems
Medical News Today
Oct 26th, 2007
Computerized Testing System Helps Determine Whether Athletes With Concussions Can Get Back In The Game
American School Board Journal
Mar 3rd, 2008
Oct 11th, 2006
Young Athletes' Concussions: Concern Grows
Jun 19th, 2007
Q&A: Doctor helps explain concussions
Contact us about Ministry Door County Medical Center Athletic Trainers:
Cherry Point Mall
1300 Egg Harbor Rd. - Suite #108
920-746-0410 or 800-236-1411