Our History

The Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross of Ingenbohl, Switzerland, came to Merrill in 1924, headed by Mother Aniceta, and were offered the T.B. Scott Mansion and the surrounding land by city officials if they would establish a hospital here. The original north wing of Ministry Good Samaritan Health Center was built and completed in 1926 providing 51 beds for service to the people of the community. The first patient was admitted on November 15, 1926.

The south wing was built in 1951 to accommodate community growth and increased hospital utilization. The addition increased Ministry Good Samaritan's bed total to 90 and provided a new cafeteria and laboratory. Another construction project was completed in 1974. It added another 10 beds and air conditioning as well as space for new and expanded services.

In 1987, the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross transferred sponsorship of the Hospital to the Catholic Health Corporation. The facility, then known as Holy Cross Hospital, was renamed at that time. In 1997, the Catholic Health Corporation partnered with two other Catholic Health systems to form Ministry Good Samaritan's current sponsor, Catholic Health Initiatives. CHI is one of the largest not-for-profit health system in the country and third largest system overall. Ministry Good Samaritan remains committed to serving the Merrill community by relieving suffering, restoring health and promoting wellness. As a licensed 25-bed critical access hospital, Ministry Good Samaritan provides excellent compassionate care.

On April 1, 2005 Ministry Good Samaritan Health Center affiliated with Ministry Health Care.

 
 
Ministry's Latest Social Activities
Facebook Twitter