Nurse Technician (Intern) Job Description
Title: Nurse Technician
Responsible to: Nurse Director/Supervisor
The Nurse Technician is responsible for assisting in the delivery of both direct and indirect nursing care under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse.
- To give the nursing student an opportunity to experience a realistic working environment.
- To give the nursing student an opportunity to gain experience in an employment situation.
- To provide insight into the practice of professional nursing.
- Completion of two semesters of an ADN program.
- Completion of junior year of a BSN program.
- Nurse Technician will provide hospital with " Hospital's Skills Checklist" signed by nursing school instructor(s).
- General Orientation
- Unit Orientation
- Ongoing orientation with Registered Nurse Partner.
- Each student will complete a skills checklist and pass a Medication Test.
- Temporary position – part-time or full-time. Summer Program 8 weeks. May continue to stay on as a Nurse Technician in a casual position during the school year.
- May request observation time in areas of interest, i.e. Dialysis Unit, Surgery, or any unit to which the student is not assigned.(Will incorporate into regular scheduled hours.)
- Attend inservice education programs.
- Have access to library services.
Nurse Technician will work the same schedule as the Registered Nurse Partner. This may include:
- Rotating shifts with the Registered Nurse Partner.
- Floating to units with the Registered Nurse Partner as the need exists at the discretion of the Nurse Director/Supervisor.
- Name Badges with title.
- Nursing school uniform or accepted dress code.
- White firm support shoes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse Partner, the Nurse Technician:
- Provides nursing care for patients' altered needs.
- Assists with or performs nursing procedures at the discretion of the Registered Nurse Partner.
The Nurse Technician is not allowed to:
- Administer medications independently.
- Take physician orders.
- Transcribe or check off orders.
- Make admission assessments/discharge summaries.