Welcome to Ministry Health Care’s Observation Experience Program
Ministry Health Care offers a closer look at health care careers through observation experiences that are available for individuals that desire to learn more about a career in health care. An observation experience consists of a firsthand, “observation only” look at the daily experiences of a health care professional. A Ministry staff member accompanies participants at all times.
All observation experience requests will be reviewed by Human Resources department to determine suitability. The Human Resources department may refuse an application request based on patient sensitivity, staffing concerns, availability, volume or other reason.
Job Observations are prohibited in the following areas: (In limited circumstances, and for provider observations, exceptions may be made with appropriate approvals.)
- Emergency or Urgent Care
- Labor and Delivery-Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Surgery and Recovery
- Intensive Care Unit
- Behavioral Health
Types of Observation Experiences
Ministry Health Care offers three different opportunities for Observation Experiences.
- Observation Experience - 8 hours or less (nonprovider): Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Observation Experience - Post secondary education requirement: Must be at least 16 years of age and the observation experience is a requirement of post-secondary education. Limited to 40 hours of observation. Typically a prerequisite into a program of study. Examples include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, etc.
- Observation Experience – Provider: Must currently be enrolled in a college or a college graduate and be interested in or considering further education or training to become a provider of medical care to patients.
- Observation of physician, physician assistant, or Certified Nurse Anesthetists are only open to college/university freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors or college/university graduates, planning on pursuing a medical career. Observation is only intended to confirm interest in a career in medicine, not to fulfill patient care requirements for application purposes. If you are in need of patient care hours for application to medical or physician assistant programs, several options for achieving this are as follows:
- Obtain certification as a CNA or EMT and pick up shifts on a part-time or casual basis at a medical facility or nursing home
- Volunteer to work with patients at a medical facility or nursing home
- Work part-time in another patient care area, such as phlebotomy or radiology
Requirements for Observation
Attention Fox Valley High School Students - Prior to completing this application all (FOX VALLEY) high school students interested in the healthcare field are required to first attend a 3 hour "Career Experience Event" in the Fox Valley area before being considered for a one-on-one job experience. Visit the Career Experience Events page for further information.
STEP 1: Submit an observation experience request for any of the Ministry Health Care organizations by clicking here (observation application link will be under construction until November 3rd).
- Once your observation experience request has been received and reviewed for eligibility, you will be notified. Individuals who meet eligibility requirements will be required to complete the following information/documents and submit them at least 2 weeks prior to scheduled observation experience. If information/documents are not received at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled observation, the observation may be cancelled.
STEP 2: Health Information Form (Medical documentation is required for evidence of proof of immunity)
- (Please Note: this is a time intensive process if you do not currently have all required health work, please begin immediately once the observation experience has been confirmed. The cost associated with this health work is the individual’s responsibility/) Please include completed health requirements documentation in one email. For more detailed information on the health requirements, please see the Ministry Health Care Observer Health Work Requirements form
- Hepatitis B Declination Form – Depending on your Hepatitis B status, you may need to sign this.
- TB Screening Questionnaire – Depending on your TB status, you may need to complete this.
STEP 3: Observation Experience Orientation - requirement to review
STEP 4: Observation Experience Authorization Form. (If a participant is under the age of 18, a guardian signature must be obtained on this form.)