Thank you for your interest in Observation/Job Shadowing health care opportunities – your request is important to us and we look forward to assisting you.
Ministry Health Care Quarterly Open Application timeframes
The first month of each quarter you will have the opportunity to access the observation application based on the timeframes below:
|Open Application Period
||Observation will occur
|July 1 - 31
||August or September
|October 1 – 31
||November or December
|January 1 -31
||February or March
|April 1 -30
||May or June
Ministry Health Care (MHC) provides a closer look at health care careers through observation experiences.
An observation experience consists of a firsthand, “no hands on” look at the daily activities of a health care professional. A MHC staff member accompanies the observer at all times.
All observation experience requests will be reviewed by Human Resources to determine suitability. Since the needs of our patients and their families is our first priority, Human Resources / MHC Leadership may defer an application request based on staffing resources, patient volume, or other reason.
Types of Observation Experiences
Ministry Health Care offers three different opportunities for Observation Experiences.
- Observation Experience – (Limited to 8 hours or less): Must be at least 16 years of age. Observers can select from a list of possible health care areas within the application.
- Observation Experience - Post secondary education requirement (Limited to 40 hours): Must be at least 16 years of age and the observation experience is a requirement of post-secondary education (after high school graduation). Typically a prerequisite into a program of study. Examples include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, etc.
- Observation Experience – Provider: (Providers include MD, DO, PA, NP, CRNA – Limited to 16 hours.) Must currently be enrolled in a college or a college graduate and be interested in or considering further education or training to become a provider of medical care to patients.
- Observation of physician, physician assistant, or Certified Nurse Anesthetists are only open to college/university freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors or college/university graduates, planning on pursuing a medical career. Observation is only intended to confirm interest in a career in medicine, not to fulfill patient care requirements for application purposes. If you are in need of patient care hours for application to medical or physician assistant programs, several options for achieving this are as follows:
- Obtain certification as a CNA or EMT and pick up shifts on a part-time or casual basis at a medical facility or nursing home
- Volunteer to work with patients at a medical facility or nursing home
- Work part-time in another patient care area, such as phlebotomy or radiology
Requirements for Observation
Attention Fox Valley High School Students - Prior to completing this application all (FOX VALLEY) high school students interested in the healthcare field are required to first attend a 3 hour "Career Experience Event" in the Fox Valley area before being considered for a one-on-one job experience. Visit the Career Experience Events page for further information.
STEP 1: Application Link Unavailable - Please check back at the next open application period indicated in chart above.