Welcome to Ministry Health Care’s Job Observation Program
Ministry Health Care offers a closer look at health care careers through job observation opportunities that are available for individuals that desire to learn more about a career in health care. A job observation consists of a firsthand, “observation only” look at the daily experiences of a health care professional. A Ministry staff member accompanies participants at all times.
All job observation requests will be reviewed by Human Resources department to determine suitability. The Human Resources department may refuse an application request based on patient sensitivity, staffing concerns, availability, volume or other reason.
Job Observations are prohibited in the following areas: (In limited circumstances, and for provider observations, exceptions may be made with appropriate approvals.)
- Emergency or Urgent Care
- Labor and Delivery-Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Surgery and Recovery
- Intensive Care Unit
- Behavioral Health
Types of Observation Experiences
Ministry Health Care offers three different opportunities for Observation Experiences.
- 8 hours or less (nonprovider):
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Post secondary education requirement:
- The observation experience is a requirement of post secondary education.
- Limited to 40 hours of observation. Typically a prerequisite into a program of study. Examples include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, etc.
- Observation of a Physician Assistant or Physician (must be a college freshman, sophomore, junior, senior or graduate):
Observation of physician or physician assistant is only open to college/university freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors or college/university graduates, planning on pursuing a medical career. Observation is only intended to confirm interest in a career in medicine, not to fulfill patient care requirements for application purposes. If you are in need of patient care hours for application to medical or physician assistant programs, several options for achieving this are as follows:
- Obtain certification as a CNA or EMT and pick up shifts on a part-time or casual basis at a medical facility or nursing home
- Volunteer to work with patients at a medical facility or nursing home
- Work part-time in another patient care area, such as phlebotomy or radiology
Requirements for Observation
Observers are required to meet eligibility requirements and complete the following forms:
- Career Exploration Orientation Form
- Observation Authorization Form. If a participant is under the age of 18, a guardian signature must be obtained on this form.
- Health Information Form (Medical documentation is required for evidence of proof of immunity)
These forms are contained within the on-line application.
To request a job observation at any of the Ministry Health Care facilities, please click on the application link and follow the directions contained within the application.