Welcome to Ministry Health Care’s Job Shadowing Program
Ministry Health Care offers a closer look at health care careers through job shadowing opportunities that are available for individuals that desire to learn more about a career in health care. A job shadow consists of a firsthand, “observation only” look at the daily experiences of a health care professional. A Ministry staff member accompanies participants at all times.
Job Shadowing available to College/University Students:
College students are limited to 40 hours per semester (based on shadow availability) and must adhere to the following guidelines:
a. Individuals must be a student enrolled in college/university or graduated from college/university
b. Observation in a clinical or hospital setting will be at the discretion of the department or unit leadership
c. Additional restrictions may apply
All job shadow requests will be reviewed by the Medical Education department to determine suitability. The Medical Education department may refuse an application request based on patient sensitivity, staffing concerns, availability, volume or other reason.
Shadowing a Physician Assistant or Physician (must be a college freshman, sophomore, junior, senior or graduate)
If you are a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in college, or a college graduate, and you would like to job shadow/observe a Physician’s Assistant or a Physician, please click here.
Job Shadowing available to High School Students:
High School Students are limited to one 8 hour job shadow per semester and must adhere to the following guidelines:
a. Individuals must be attending high school or associated with an educational program; and
b. Be at least 16 years of age.
c. Students who are in high school are prohibited from observation in the following areas:
• Emergency or Urgent Care departments
• Labor and Delivery-Obstetrics and Gynecology
• Surgery and Recovery area
• Any other clinical or hospital setting is at the discretion of the department or unit leadership
d. High School students will not be allowed to job shadow a physician assistant (PA) or a physician (Medical Doctor)
e. Additional restrictions may apply
Process to request a job shadow at Ministry Health Care:
- Complete the application Form. Make sure you have your emergency contact and school information handy. You will need them to complete the application.
- Health Requirements Form. All health requirements must be completed prior to start date of rotation/shadowing.
- Complete the Computer Based Training (CBT) General Orientation