Ministry Health Care Shadow (PA/Med School)
Shadowing of physicians or physician assistants is only open to college/university freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors or college/university graduates, planning on pursuing a medical career. Shadowing is only intended to confirm interest in a career in medicine, not to fulfill patient care requirements for application purposes*.
Shadowing opportunities will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. No student will be scheduled for shadowing until all required applications and health documentation is received. All of this documentation must be in NO LATER than 30 days prior to the time you are hoping to shadow, to allow time for processing. While most departments accept shadowing students, there is no guarantee that you will receive your first choice of specialty when requesting a shadow experience.
*If you are in need of patient care hours for application to medical or physician assistant programs, several options for achieving this are as follows:
- Obtain certification as a CNA or EMT and pick up shifts on a part-time or casual basis at a medical facility or nursing home
- Volunteer to work with patients at a medical facility or nursing home
- Work part-time in another patient care area, such as phlebotomy or radiology
Process to request a job shadow at Ministry Health Care:
- Complete the application Form. Make sure you have your emergency contact and school information handy. You will need them to complete the application.
- Health Requirements Form. All health requirements must be completed prior to start date of rotation/shadowing.
- Complete the Computer Based Training (CBT) General Orientation