At Ministry Health Care, we believe the choices you make each day directly impact the quality of your health.
How you handle stress can impact your heart health. Some stress can be motivational, but poorly managed stress may provoke high blood pressure and cholesterol.
Contributing to those diseases is how you respond to stress - smoking, overeating, alcohol indulgence, and lack of sleep aggravate the impact stress has on chronic conditions.
Common illnesses and conditions that have been linked to stress include:
- Heart disease
- Migraine headaches
Since coping with unhealthy stress is half the battle, consider some of these ways to alleviate triggers:
- Get it out in the open. Talk to a friend, family member, counselor, spiritual director, or other professional.
- Work smarter. Simplify your surroundings, manage your time, map out your priorities, and plan your day.
- Love yourself. Accept your strengths and weaknesses. Take care of yourself; you are a gift. Be positive - or find a positive angle in a difficult situation.
- Celebrate life. Laugh, love, play, explore. Try new activities.
- Breathe deep - and relax. Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and visualization. Pray. Affirm. Meditate. Take time to enjoy your own healthy relaxers.
- Exercise. It makes a big difference!
You may also want to read our Stress Management brochure. Please contact your Ministry Health Care physician group or hospitals for more information about local resources. Ministry Health Care provides the Healthy Connections for your health and well-being.