Allergy Treatment Options
Finding the right treatment is the best method for managing your allergies. If your seasonal allergy symptoms are making you miserable, an Ministry Medical Group clinicians can help. Our providers have the background and experience to test which pollen or molds are causing your symptoms and prescribe a treatment plan to help you feel better. This plan may include avoiding outdoor exposure, along with medications.
If your symptoms continue or if you have them for many months of the year, your doctor may recommend allergy shots, or immunotherapy. This involves receiving regular injections, which help your immune system become more and more resistant to the specific allergen and lessen your symptoms as well as the need for medications.
There are also simple steps you can take to limit your exposure to the pollen or molds that cause your symptoms:
- Keep your windows closed at night and if possible, use air conditioning, which cleans, cools and dries the air.
- Try to stay indoors when the pollen or mold levels are reported to be high.
- Wear a pollen mask if long periods of exposure are unavoidable.
- Don't mow lawns or rake leaves because it stirs up pollen and molds. Also avoid hanging sheets or clothes outside to dry.
- Consider taking a vacation during the height of the pollen season to a more pollen-free area, such as the beach or sea.
- When traveling by car, keep your windows closed. Most important, be sure to take any medications prescribed by your doctor regularly, in the recommended dosage.