Bariatric Surgery in Marshfield
Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital and Marshfield Clinic Marshfield Center surgeons Vijaya Nirujogi, M.D., and Timothy Wengert, M.D., have been designated an American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)® Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. The ASMBS Center of Excellence designation recognizes surgical programs with a demonstrated track record of favorable outcomes in bariatric surgery.
To earn the ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence® designation, programs must adhere to rigorous standards established by Surgical Review Corporation (S.R.C.), an organization dedicated to pursuing surgical excellence. The S.R.C. thoroughly inspects and evaluates each candidate for designation and upon review recommends approval of designation for those physicians and facilities whose practices and outcomes meet the stringent demands set forth by S.R.C. for ASMBS.
Bariatric surgery, or weight loss surgery, has proven to be an effective tool to help people lose a large amount of weight, significantly improving patient health and reducing the amount of medications taken for obesity-related health problems.
Our bariatric surgery program offers a multidisciplinary approach to surgical weight loss in a professional, supportive environment. We are sensitive to the unique challenges brought on by obesity and strive to care for each patient with dignity, respect and understanding.
What are the minimum requirements to qualify as a candidate for bariatric surgery?
The qualifications for bariatric surgery vary from one insurance provider to the next. In most cases, the minimum requirements for consideration as a candidate for bariatric surgery include the following:
- A BMI (body mass index) of 40 or greater, usually met if you are 100 pounds over your ideal body weight.
- A BMI of between 35 and 39 with one or more severe obesity-related medical problems such as diabetes, severe sleep apnea, heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis of weight-bearing joints or depression.
- Documentation of previous unsuccessful weight-loss attempts such as diet, exercise, behavior modification, or other physician-supervised weight loss plans.
- Consultation with a registered dietitian and participation in a medically supervised weight-loss program.
- Psychological evaluation and clearance to determine the ability to comply with the behavioral and lifestyle changes required after bariatric surgery.
The program at Ministry Saint Joseph's Hospital is offered by Marshfield Clinic. To learn more about this specific program, please click here.