Whether in Stevens Point, Rhinelander, Woodruff or Marshfield, WI, Ministry Health Care is leading the way in advanced care and treatment of neurologic conditions:
- Utilizing nuclear medicine to multi-dimensionally image the brain and spinal cord
- Measuring activity and evaluating the brain’s electrical activity
- Analyzing blood flow to and from the brain for blockage or weakness
- Testing motor, visual, auditory or sensory responses for abnormality or weakness.
Comprehensive sleep studies — including initial consultation, evaluation, testing, treatment and follow-up care — are available at four sleep labs throughout the Wisconsin River Valley and Northwoods: from Howard Young Medical Center in Woodruff to the Diagnostic & Treatment Center in Schofield, and from Ministry Saint Michael’s Hospital in Stevens Point to Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital in Marshfield.
Ministry Medical Group neurologists in Stevens Point specialize in a wide range of nerve conduction and evoke potential testing, which is used to check the condition of nerve pathways. A healthy nervous system uses electrical energy to carry messages smoothly along nerve cells to the brain.
Evoke Potential tests quickly and safely measure the electrical signals carried by the nerves. EP testing helps diagnose disorders of the nervous system, locate the site of nerve damage, and evaluate your condition after treatment or during surgery. In many cases, EP testing allow for an early diagnosis and more effective treatment.
In Rhinelander, a fellowship-training Ministry Medical Group neurologist with advanced training in diagnosing and treating epilepsy, and certified nurse practitioner specializing in gerontology provide a unique array of services, including diagnosis and treatment of dementia and Alzheimer’s:
Services for aging populations include:
- In-depth medical history review
- Cognitive examination
- Depression screening
- Functional and sensory exam
- Targeted physical and laboratory exam
- Psychological assessment
- Patient/family education
At Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital in Marshfield, a team of Marshfield Clinic specialists includes neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuro-oncologists, neuropsychologists and other caregivers, including those specializing in neurologic conditions in children . For researchers , physicians and nurses who practice in Marshfield, some of the most exciting developments in neurologic medicine include:
- Intense monitoring of those with epilepsy, to facilitate effective care plans
- Advanced stroke care, including an inpatient rehabilitative program that helps patients regain daily living skills through physical and occupational therapy.
- Gamma Knife, a non-invasive procedures to painlessly reduce or eliminate otherwise inoperable tumors or complex, hard-to-reach brain lesions. Very few hospitals offer this treatment option.
- Movements disorders center, offering in-depth study and care for various disorders, including deep brain stimulation (akin to a pacemaker for the brain) and pallidotomy to manage and control tremors associated with Parkinson’s Disease.
- Advanced imaging, including iMRI (intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging) in the Surgery/OR so surgeons have access to powerful real-time imaging while a procedure is underway.