Specialized acute stroke care, treatment, prevention and recovery
Each year, 4 out of 5 families in Wisconsin will be affected by stroke and approximately 750,000 people in the United States will suffer a new or recurrent
stroke. It is the third leading cause of death and the leading cause of serious disability. The longer a stroke goes untreated, the greater the chance of permanent neurological damage. Rapid intervention is crucial to the treatment of stroke. Time lost is brain lost!
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital, the only one of its kind in central and northern Wisconsin, offering services such as:
- Ministry Spirit Medical Transportation, providing advanced air and ground life support.
- Dedicated stroke team that treats stroke patients immediately upon their arrival at Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital.
- Advanced brain imaging and diagnostic testing to help detect the exact location and cause of the stroke.
- Rapid-response stroke treatment, including the administration of t-PA, the clot-busting drug.
- Advanced endovascular treatments not offered anywhere else in central and northern Wisconsin:
- Intra-arterial administration of t-PA directly at the site of the clot for patients who may not qualify or arrive in time for intravenous t-PA.
- Mechanical removal of a clot lodged in a vessel in the brain.
- Coiling of aneurysms in the brain.
- Designated critical and acute care stroke units with full monitoring capability.
- On-site acute care rehab unit with stroke specialty certification.
- Working relationship with referring hospitals, physicians and emergency medical services to improve regional stroke care.
The comprehensive stroke services provided at Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital capture all aspects of stroke care, from stroke prevention, risk identification and treatment, to recovery and rehabilitation.
Ministry Saint Joseph’s Hospital has the experience and expertise that makes all the difference in the treatment of stroke.