Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services
Ministry Health Care’s pulmonary rehabilitation program is designed for adults who are limited in their everyday activities due to lung surgery or lung disease (COPD, emphysema, asthma, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis, etc.). The pulmonary rehab program has active physician involvement. It is supervised by registered respiratory therapists, registered nurses and other health care providers.
You, or someone you know, might benefit from pulmonary rehabilitation.
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary rehabilitation can make a difference in your life by helping you:
- Do more of the things you enjoy.
- Improve your strength, endurance, energy, and independence.
- Perform daily activities with less shortness of breath.
- Control your breathing and not panic when you feel short of breath.
- Use your medications properly.
- Understand your symptoms and how to prevent infections. This may mean fewer emergency room visits and fewer hospitalizations.
- Improve dietary choices to promote good nutrition.
- Conserve energy and improve work efficiency.
- Quit smoking. This is the most important change you can make.
How do I get started?
You will need a referral from your doctor to participate in pulmonary rehabilitation. This referral and other information about your physical condition links us to your doctor so we may work together to provide you with the best care possible. Once the referral is made, someone from the Pulmonary Rehab team will contact you. Some payers, such as Medicare, may ask for qualifying testing, such as:
- A physical within 90 days
- Qualifying pulmonary function tests (breathing tests) within one year
- Other testing as required by the medical director of your local program
How does Pulmonary Rehabilitation Work?
Pulmonary Rehabilitation consists of three major parts:
Exercise Training to help you:
- Exercise Safely
- Strengthen your Muscles
- Improve Stamina
A variety of exercise equipment is available. Staff will teach you how to use them at a pace that is right for you. You will be closely monitored during your exercise sessions.
Education and Counseling to help you:
- Understand your lung disease
- Learn methods to gain control over your breathing to reduce shortness of breath
- Use your medications properly to make them work for you
- Pace your daily activities and simplify work tasks
- Detect early signs of infections and action to take
- Establish a dietary plan to meet your individual needs
- Create a smoking cessation plan or smoke free environment
- Understand any home therapies, such as oxygen therapy
The Pulmonary Rehab team will help you learn to cope with living with lung disease.
On-going guidance and support which is a key to promoting your maximum rehabilitation potential. Follow-up care is designed for patients who have completed pulmonary rehabilitation and understand the importance of continuing a maintenance program in a supportive environment which reinforces a lifetime commitment to exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
Our Goal for You
Our goal is to provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to live better with chronic lung disease. You will also find support and understanding from the pulmonary rehabilitation staff and other members of your group.