Grief Support Services
Provided by Ministry Home Care - Hospice Services
Ongoing Support Groups
The following support groups are open-ended, and do not require pre-registration. Any adult in the community who has experienced a death is invited to attend.
- Grief Support Groups are monthly adult gathering for individuals and families who have experienced the death of a loved one. These groups provide a caring community for learning about grief, finding support, sharing memories, and identifying feelings. No pre-registration is required for these groups, and there is no fee. Groups meet at the following locations and times:
- Portage County:
- Ministry Saint Michael's Hospital (Chapel area), 900 Illinois Avenue, Stevens Point. First Thursday of the month, 1:30 - 3 p.m.
- Marathon County:
- Ministry Saint Clare's Hospital (Chapel area), 3400 Ministry Parkway, Weston. Second Thursday of the month, 1:30 - 3 p.m.
- Waupaca Area:
- Radiant Fellowship Church, 420 N. Harrison Street, Waupaca.
Second Monday of each month, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
- Amherst Area:
- Peace Lutheran Church, 293 S. Main Street, Amherst.
Third Thursday of each month, 1:30 - 3 p.m.
- Athens Area:
- Athens Town Hall, 208 Caroline St., Athens.
Fourth Thursday of each month, 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Surviving Spouse/Life Partner Group is a unique support group for adults whose spouse or partner has died. This monthly gathering provides a safe environment for sharing memories, feelings, and concerns with others who have had similar experiences. The group meets the third Monday of every month, 7 - 8:30 p.m., at Redeemer Lutheran Church, 900 Brilowski Road in Stevens Point.
- The Widow & Widower Social Group meets the second Wednesday of each month for dinner and the last Friday of each month for breakfast (sites/times to be determined). Call the hospice office for specifics.
- Surviving Spouse Social Outings In addition to the regular gatherings of the social group, various activities for small groups are offered. Included in these outings are potlucks, bowling, golfing, playing cards, and attending the theater. Please call for information or to receive the monthly newsletter of events.
- Loss of Spouse Support Group (co-sponsored with the Aging & Disability Resource Center of Portage County) This 6-week series is offered in the spring and fall at the Lincoln Center in Stevens Point. For people aged 60 and over, information and support is provided to help participants cope with the multitude of feelings, adjustments, and day-to-day concerns experienced after the death of a spouse. Please call 800.398.1297 for upcoming dates and information.
For more information on these and other grief support opportunities, contact Gretchen Iverson, bereavement coordinator, at 800.398.1297 or Grief.StPoint@ministryhealth.org.