Successful first week for grocery delivery program
On February 2, the local Faith in Action program and the Stanley IGA grocery store introduced a new shopping and delivery service for community members who are elderly or disabled.
Jill Pollert, BSW, Ministry Our Lady of Victory Hospital Community Link Specialist, and coordinator of Faith in Action, said, “We had four people use the service the first week, which is about what we expected, so we were excited about that. I am sure our program will continue to grow as more people hear about it. The management and staff at the IGA were very helpful and accommodating, and the volunteers enjoyed providing this service to the community.”
Here’s how the service works:
- Orders are taken only on Wednesdays, from 8-9 a.m.
- People call the IGA at (715) 644-5842 to give their order.
- If they do not specify a brand for an item, volunteers will select the least expensive brand
- Volunteers shop, bag and deliver the groceries that day.
- Volunteers also collect payment. Participants can provide the store a credit card number or pay by check or cash. Volunteers are not able to make change.
- This service is available only to people who reside within the city limits of Stanley.
- There is no charge for this service.
Jill said that more volunteers are welcome. She said, “We are still seeking more volunteers to ensure the program can meet the needs of the community as more people begin to use the service.” The commitment is usually less than two hours per week. People interested in volunteering for this project, or other Faith in Action projects, call Jill at (715) 644-6188.
Faith in Action is an interfaith volunteer caregiver program is sponsored by MOLVH and is a partnership between the hospital and several area churches. It provides basic support to the elderly, people who are disabled, and mothers. One of the main services is providing transportation to medical appointments. Other supportive services include grocery shopping, errands, companionship, and telephone reassurance calls.