Smart dining card glitch- The smart dinging card indicates that next week is Midway weigh-in. This is incorrect. As Midway weigh-ins are February 25-27th, there will be no smart dining discount this week.
This week we challenge your team to visit choosemyplate.gov and browse the site's tabs and resources. It is always important to stay up to date on the latest dietary recommendations. Once you have finished exploring the website, design and prepare a meal that you feel meets the recommendations! Take a picture and post to Facebook or send an E-mail to Traci Smet. Challenge expires at midnight on 2/21.
Tuesday's Presentation: Experts to the Rescue
Do you have nutrition, fitness, lifestyle, or medical related questions that you want answered? Our panel of experts will be here to help you gain a better understanding of your body, the roadblocks you have encountered, and your journey through the Ministry Community Weight Race. You may submit your questions ahead of time by messaging Community Weight Race on Facebook or by e-mailing Traci Smet. Our panel will consist of Laura Zelenak from the Stevens Point School District, Erika Weiss from Adventure 212, Calvin Selwyn, MD, from Ministry Saint Michael's Hospital, and Amy Domaszek from the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point. We look forward to seeing you at Ministry 2501 on February 19, at 5:30 p.m.
Presentation Review: Dining out the Healthy Way
You don’t have to avoid eating out if you are trying to lose weight. Sarah Agena, a registered dietician and owner of Flexible Nutrition Solutions, LLC, of Stevens Point touched on this point as well as many others in her Tuesday night’s presentation. One of the simplest things you can do is plan ahead before going out to eat. Looking up the menu beforehand allows you to see what the restaurant has to offer, gives you time to look at calorie content, and allows you to think of questions to ask your server. Making small changes can help you stick to ordering healthier meal options when dining out.
A few other tips Sarah left with the group included:
- Ask for dressing or sauces on the side
- Choose heart healthy meal options
- Don’t be afraid to ask for substitutions or food that is cooked-to-order
- Ask for half of your food to be put in a to-go box upon ordering
- Avoid fried foods and added cheeses
Tuesday's Mindfulness Training Workshop
Why Mindfulness Coaching? Studies suggest that mindfulness and acceptance training improves body image, nurtures intuitive eating, reduces problematic eating behavior, and improves overall quality of life.
- When: February 26-March 26 every Tuesday 6:00-7:15 PM
- Where: Ministry 2501 Building
- To register: E-mail Amy at Amy.Domaszek@uwsp.edu
Please note all workshops require advance sign-up. Register be e-mailing your name and which workshop to MinistryCWR@live.com or by calling 715.346.5416 with the same information.
- 5 p.m. - 6 p.m. Zumba. (beginner to advanced). Limited to 30.
- 5 p.m. - 6 p.m. Settle Your Sleep. Learn about the cycles of sleep and how you can create the best atmosphere for a good night sleep. Learn how lack of sleep affects your health and causes weight gain. Limited to 20.
- 6 p.m. - 7 p.m. The Fitness Wheel. (beginner to advanced). We are almost half way through the Community Weight Race so it is time to increase intensity. Spin your fitness wheel and join this station based workout. Coaches will get you motivated as you go through a series of stations ranging from cardio to strength to flexibility, and everything in-between. Limited to 30.
- 6 p.m. - 7 p.m. Attitude Adjustment for Weight Loss and Stress Management: Use biofeedback tools to analyze and identify the power of your thoughts on your behaviors. Limited to 6.
Team Schierl Items of the Week:
Fiber One Chocolate Fudge Brownie (1 brownie/serving, 90 calories, 25 fat calories): Special price of $0.59
Non-perishables collected - This week: 66.4 pounds = Total: 755 pounds