January 25, 2013 Newsletter
Pick-A-Prize change! Starting Tuesday at the presentation, we will be using punch cards to track your Pick-A-Prize points. Participants can pick up their punch cards at the presentation or other events they attend later in the week. Punch cards will be required at all MCWR events in order to get points towards the Pick-A-Prizes at the end. Every 10 punches gets you one raffle ticket. Punches (previously called points) can be earned by attending any event, weigh-in, or workshop, completing challenges, or bringing food items to a MCWR event. Punches for the challenges will be tracked separately from the punch cards and rewarded at the final ceremony in April. This change was made due to the extreme difficulty in tracking participants at the events. We want to ensure everyone gets proper credit for their attendance. Please contact Traci with any specific questions- 715.346.5416.
Team Challenge #3: Time for some Home Cookin’
We challenge your team to create your own healthy meal. Work together and be creative! Post on Facebook or E-mail to Traci a picture of your team enjoying your meal for 5 points and the recipe for another 5 points. Challenge expires at midnight on 1/31.
Tuesday’s Presentation: Meet the Experts
Have a burning question that is nutrition, fitness, or medical related? Our panel of experts will be here to answer those questions while helping you understand more about your body and your journey through the Community Weight Race. You may submit questions ahead of time by messaging Community Weight Race on Facebook or by e-mailing Traci. Our panel consists of Mary Sadler, RD, CD from Ministry Saint Michael’s Hospital, Todd Williams, MD from Ministry Point Sports Medicine, and Karla Rothmann from the Stevens Point Area YMCA. We look forward to seeing you at Ministry 2501 on January 29, 5:30pm.
Presentation Review: Get Up, Get Going- Make Exercise Work For You
Tim Wright, PhD, a health education professor at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, talked about exercise and gave some tips to get moving and keep moving! First, find an activity that you enjoy. If you don't like it you won't stick to it. Second, plan to exercise at or close to home. Researchers have found that folks are much more likely to stick to an exercise routine if they don't have to travel far.
Our bodies are adaptive, always trying to stay comfortable with the status quo. Dr. Wright offered a simple acronym to help us remember the three components of exercise: F.I.T. – frequency, intensity, and time. We can challenge our bodies to avoid the plateau by altering the frequency, how often we exercise; intensity, how hard we exercise; and time, how long we exercise. Don't be afraid to add resistance training (weightlifting) to your exercise plan. A single bout of resistance training can raise your resting metabolism for 12-36 hours after your workout! Resistance training doesn't have to be in a gym and instead of weights use your own body weight. Give Dr. Wright's pointers a try! View the presentation.
Please note all workshops require advance sign-up. Register be e-mailing your name and which workshop to MinistryCWR@live.com or by calling 715.346.5416 with the same information.
- 5 p.m. - 6 p.m. Zumba (beginner to advanced). Limited to 30.
- 5 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Exercise Basics. This Chair exercise routine will give participants a full body workout, while making basic exercises easier for all ability and experience levels. By using a chair, participants can exercise though a comfortable range of motion and take unwanted pressure off of the back and joints. Limited to 20.
- 5:30 p.m. -6 p.m. Fuel The Furnace. Part 1 of a 3 part nutrition series. Help fuel the furnace all day long with delicious mini meals. Rediscover portion sizes with healthy snacks. Limited to 20 people.
- 6 p.m. - 7 p.m. Yoga (beginner to advanced): This is a special course designed for the MCWR. It is limited to 20 people and it is a cutting edge approach to weight loss.
- 6 p.m. - 7 p.m. Goal setting continues this week. (week three of the three week workshop): This is a follow up from Dr. Kline's presentation two weeks ago. It will work on willpower instinct and daring greatly.
Restaurant of the week: The Wooden Chair
AHH! Vocado- original price $7.49, discounted $3.75
The Kibitzer- original price $7.49,
Team Schierl Items of the Week:
Special K Blueberry Pastry Crisps (2 crisps/ serving, 100 calories, 20 fat calories)
Special price of $0.69!
Non-perishables collected - This week: 250.8 pounds = Total: 520.6 pounds