Saint Elizabeth’s was founded in 1898 by Sister M Petonilla Derleth. She and two other Sisters, representing the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother, traveled from Menomonie, WI to establish a hospital in Wabasha. The first patients were admitted on July 25, 1898. In the early 1900’s St. Joseph’s Orphanage was established. The sisters cared for and instructed children until the orphans were relocated to Winona in 1943.
Over the years, Saint Elizabeth’s Medical Center has advanced and expanded its facilities, technology, and services to meet the changing needs of our communities.