Founded in 1893 by the Order of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother, Ministry Sacred Heart Hospital operated independently until October 1981 when it merged with its sister facility, Ministry Saint Mary's Hospital, in Rhinelander, and Ministry Sacred Heart-Saint Mary's Hospitals, Inc. was established. This merger significantly expanded the continuum of health care services available to the Tomahawk area.
Ministry Sacred Heart Hospital shares a combined facility with Ministry Medical Group - Tomahawk, a part of physician-based Ministry Medical Group. The clinic is a satellite of Ministry Medical Group - Rhinelander, a multi-specialty clinic with more than 55 physicians and additional satellite clinics in Crandon, Eagle River, Laona, Three Lakes and Woodruff.
As part of the Ministry Health Care system, Ministry Sacred Heart Hospital provides personal, holistic medical care with access to the latest in health care technology.