****Please note, due to family leave of Child Life staff, we will NOT be offering a Summer 2015 Practicum experience. Thank you for your understanding.****
Ministry Saint Joseph's Children's Hospital and Marshfield Clinic are located in the center of Wisconsin. Ministry Saint Joseph's Hospital is a 504-bed tertiary care teaching hospital, level II trauma center, and major referral center for the state of Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Ministry Saint Joseph's Children's Hospital is a 35 bed unit with a charming Northwoods theme within Ministry Saint Joseph's Hospital.
The Child Life Program provides services to patients between the ages of 0-18 years old within Ministry Saint Joseph's Children's Hospital and Marshfield Clinic Children's, with varied diagnoses. These include, but are not limited to: surgical, orthopedic, oncology, cardiac, GI Illnesses, renal, respiratory illnesses, hepatic, neurology, abuse/neglect, psychosocial/emotional complaints including overdose, failure to thrive, traumas, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, neonatal conditions and other various infectious diseases of children. Patients may have additional needs relating to mental retardation, learning disabilities, and emotional or physical handicaps. Child Life also provides services by consult to NICU and children of adult patients that are facing a new diagnosis of cancer or being treated in the ICU, CCU or Palliative Care Unit for a traumatic or life threatening illness.
The Child Life Program offers three 16 week internship opportunities annually. Our staff is dually certified in Therapeutic Recreation and Child Life. The Internship Program does meet the requirements of both Child Life and/or Therapeutic Recreation Students. For more information on the Child Life profession, visit the Child Life Council Webpage at www.childlife.org
Below is a listing of services offered by Child Life at Ministry Saint Joseph's Children's Hospital.
Specialized Child Life Services include:
* Therapeutic Play, including "Medical Play"
* Preparation and support for medical tests, procedures, and surgeries
* Pre-Admission Surgery Tours
* Developmentally appropriate group and bedside activities
* Consults to NICU and other specialty clinic areas
* Infant Stimulation
* Family Support
* Developmental Information and Intervention
* Crisis Intervention and Support for Siblings
* Organization of Special Events and Visitors
* Supervision and Training of Adult and Teen Volunteer Programs
Other Pediatric Services at a Glance:
* Teen lounge, playroom, oncology solarium, outdoor patio
* Participants of Children's Miracle Network
* Ronald McDonald House
* 50+ physician specialists
* Multi-disciplinary team approach with primary nursing
* Family focused care
* 24 bed level III NICU
* State-of-the-art equipment and clinical practice
For further information and application contact:
Heidi Giese, BS, CTRS, CCLS, CIMI
Child Life Manager
Ministry Saint Joseph's Children's Hospital
611 St. Joseph Avenue
Marshfield, WI 54449
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org