Curriculum

During the twelve-month Nuclear Medicine Technology Program at Ministry Saint Joseph's Hospital, the student will have written and clinical evaluations in the following courses:

 

NMT-401 : Hospital Orientation

(1 credit)

A survey of hospital administrative procedures including medical terminology and medical ethics. Class grade will be determined by written exams in the following classes: Orientation, Patient Caregiver Orientation, Patient Care for NMT, Anatomical Man, Nomenclature, and Medical Ethics.

 

NMT-403 : Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology

(4 credits)

Studies human anatomy, physiology, and pathology of the human organ systems as they apply to nuclear medicine imaging. Class grade will be determined by quizzes in the course.

 

NMT-405 : Radiation Protection

(2 credits)

Covers principles and practices for radiation safety. Topics include calculation of doses absorbed from procedures, personnel monitoring , handling and disposal of radioactive materials, review of radiation regulations, methods for protecting patients and staff from unnecessary exposure and possible injury, and licensing of a nuclear medicine department. Class grade will be determined by written exams during the course. Clinical practice of radiation protection will also be a factor in grade determination.

 

NMT-407 : Clinical Instrumentation and Techniques

(4 credits)

Structure, operating characteristics, and practice in use of nuclear medicine radiation imaging instruments and radioisotope handling devices used in medical diagnosis and therapy. Specifically, gamma cameras, PET cameras, PET/CT scanners, SPECT/CT scanners, and the quality control associated with each. It will convey to the student the principles of camera operation, methods of measuring and maintaining camera performance, and the theory and practice of acquiring tomographic images. Class grade will be determined by written exams and lab work in the following classes: Gamma Cameras, PET, Quality Control of Imaging Systems, and image reconstruction.

 

NMT-412 : Clinical Practicum I

(5 credits)

First in a two-course sequence of supervised clinical instruction in nuclear medicine technology. Topics include imaging, patient care, radiopharmacy, camera quality control, and computer analysis. Class grade will be determined in the following manner: 60% of the grade will be from section finals and the remaining 40% will be determined from clinical performance. Clinical performance will be evaluated weekly by the technologists and quarterly by the Program Director, Lead Technologist, Manager, and Physicians.

 

NMT-413 : Clinical Practicum II

(5 credits)

Second in a two-course sequence of supervised clinical instruction in nuclear medicine technology. Topics include imaging, patient care, radiopharmacy, camera quality control, and computer analysis. Class grade will be determined in the following manner: 40% of the grade will be from final exams and the remaining 60% will be determined from clinical performance. Clinical performance will be evaluated weekly by the technologists and quarterly by the Program Director, Lead Technologist, Manager, and Physicians.

 

NMT-417 : Nuclear Radiation Physics & Instrumentation

(3 credits)

Presents basic science required for nuclear medicine. Topics include types of radiation, half-life and radioactive decay, interaction of radiation, statistics of radiation counting, and the non-imaging instruments designed to detect and measure radiations. Class grade will be determined by written exams in the course.

 

NMT-418 : Clinical Procedures Review

(3 credits)

Classroom technique to establish clinical practices used in nuclear medicine imaging. The fundamental skills of patient preparation, electrocardiography, radiopharmaceutical administration, and computer processing techniques will be emphasized. Class grade will be determined by clinical labs and section Clinical quizzes.

 

NMT-419 : Clinical Radiation Biology

(2 credits)

Discusses the potentially harmful effects of radiation on humans. Topics include the basic chemistry of radiation interactions in living cells, the effects of extensive radiation exposure, and the potential long-term effects of accumulated radiation damage. Class grade will be determined by written exams.

 

NMT-423 : Radiopharmacy

(2 credits)

Studies all commonly used nuclear medicine pharmaceuticals, their preparation, indications for use, dosages, and contraindications. Class grade will be determined by written exams in the following classes: General Nuclides, General Radiopharmacy, Procedure Doses, and section quizzes.

 

NMT-427 : Applications of Computers in Nuclear Medicine

(2 credits)

Introduces the use of computers in nuclear medicine, emphasizing analysis of static, dynamic, and tomographic images. Class grade will be determined by written exams and lab work in Nuclear Medicine Computers, clinical projects, and/or presented case studies, which will be evaluated clinically by the Program Director, Lead Technologist, Manager, and staff.

 

NMT-499 : Independent Study

(1 credit)

Independent project(s) under the direction and supervision of a member of the clinical staff. Class grade will be determined by Society of Nuclear Medicine presentation, or other appropriate presentation, which will be evaluated by the Program Director, Lead Technologist, Manager, and staff.

 
 
Ministry's Latest Social Activities
Facebook Twitter