"It is the responsibility of every human being to aspire to do something worthwhile, to make this world a better place than the one he found."
A bequest (a gift through will or trust), is a lasting tribute to your values and life. Anyone can leave a lasting legacy. No matter the amount, your gift through your estate will make a tremendous impact on improving care and advancing technology for patients at Ministry Saint Joseph's Hospital. We have listed below some information for you to consider before meeting with your attorney.
- General bequest - gives set dollar amount. "I give to the Foundation of Saint Joseph's Hospital of Marshfield, Inc. the sum of $ ____ for it's unrestricted use or purpose."
- Special bequest - gives a specific item. "I give (specify item of real estate / stock / personal property) to the Foundation of Saint Joseph's Hospital of Marshfield, Inc. for it's unrestricted use or purpose."
- Residuary bequest - gives "rest of estate" or a set percentage of estate. "I give the residual (or ____ %) of my estate to the Foundation of Saint Joseph's Hospital of Marshfield for it's unrestricted use or purpose." This type of bequest is most common as the value of your estate changes over time. This insures that all individuals/charities in your estate are given the percentage you desire, regardless of your estate size.
The legal name for the hospital's foundation is the Foundation of Saint Joseph's Hospital of Marshfield. This name should be listed in your will/trust.
Gifts to the area of greatest need or unrestricted gifts allow the Board of Directors to use funds to address any emerging needs of patients and/or their families at Ministry Saint Joseph's Hospital.
You may also restrict the gift given through your estate, and it will only be used for the area(s) it was restricted to. There are many areas of the hospital that you may choose from:
- Alcohol & Drug Recovery Services
- Bereavement Program/TLC Program
- Birth Center/Neonatal Unit
- Intensive Care Unit
- Cancer Services/Oncology
- Children's Miracle Network
- Diabetes Services
- Heart Services/Cardiology
- Home Delivered Meals
- House of the Dove (Building Improvement Fund)
- Nursing Education
- Palliative Care Program
- Pediatric Unit
- Rehabilitation Services
- Spiritual Services/Prayer Team
This bequest allows you to restrict the principal of your gift, while the investment income is utilized for either an unrestricted or restricted purpose. Creating an endowment in this manner means your gift can continue giving each year.
If you have any questions regarding naming the Foundation of Saint Joseph's Hospital in your will or trust, please call Ann Boson, Foundation Director at 715.389.4072.