Dear Prospective Intern:
Please review BEFORE proceeding: Pathway to Becoming a CCLS
Thank you for your interest in our internship program. Two Child Life and/or Recreation Therapy (with minor or strong emphasis in Child Psychology) interns will be selected for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Internship lengths are 16 weeks for Fall and Spring, 15 weeks for Summer, both 40 hours/week. Early application is recommended.**All TR students must be eligible to sit for both Child Life Council Certification Exam as well as NCTRC Exam.**
***ALL REQUIRED COURSE WORK MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO STARTING YOUR INTERNSHIP***
Students are required to have:
1. College transcripts (student copy ok) and a list of current course work.
2. A Medical Terminology course is REQUIRED for this internship. Also TR students focusing on dual certification are required to take both Child and Adolescent development, beyond the Life-Span course. **All TR students must be eligible to sit for both Child Life Council Certification Exam as well as NCTRC Exam.**
3. Minimum of 100 volunteer hours with well infants, children, youth and/or families AND additional 100 hours with infants, children, youth and/or families in stressful situations, health care settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs is required. Please send verficiation of the number of volunteer/work hours in each setting.
4. Mandatory readings prior to internship include:
Child Life in Hospitals Theory and Practice
Thompson & Stanford
Psychosocial Care of Children in Hospitals: A Clinical Practice Manual
Gaynard, Wolfer, Goldberger,Thompson, Redburn & Laidley
Meeting Children's Psychosocial Needs Across the Healthcare Continuum
Rollins, Bolig & Mahan
The Handbook of Child Life: A Guide for Pediatric Psychosocial Care (2009)
5. Two letters of recommendation. Professional letters please (one from a mentor/supervisor of a volunteer/work experience and one from an educational advisor)
6. A current resume (include education and field experiences).
7. Successfully complete child life coursework inclusive of the 6 applied areas of study, as required by Child Life Council
8. Child Life Council Eligibility Assessment
9. Health Requirements for Internship (does not have to be completed prior to the interview)
10. University contract with hospital (upon acceptance of internship)
11. Background Check (upon acceptance of internship)
12. ***Fall 2016 Internship Application Link***
Please note, the general/generic Child Life Council Internship Application WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Thank you!
Fall 2016 Internship Dates
• Application deadline: Tuesday March 15th, 2016
• Offer day: Tuesday May 3rd, 2016
• Accept/decline day: Wednesday May 4th, 2016
• Offers for any unfilled positions or “free for all day”: Thursday May 5th, 2016 and beyond
***Please review Child Life Council's new deadlines for Internship Application process at
If after reviewing the following information, you are still interested in an internship at our facility, the application must be completed and returned by the following dates:
NEW INTERNSHIP DEADLINES
||Application, etc. Due
|Fall (Sept. - Dec.)
||1st Tuesday of May
|Winter/Spring (Jan.- May)
||2nd Tuesday of October
|Summer (May - Aug.)
||2nd Tuesday of February
After reviewing the applications, I will notify the top ten qualified candidates to schedule an interview.
Free housing, discounted lunches and parking are currently available to students.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at (715) 387-7361. I look forward to hearing from you.
Heidi Giese, CTRS, CCLS, CIMI
Child Life Manager
PLEASE NOTE: NEW ELIGIBLITY REQUIREMENTS
Important Upcoming Changes to the Eligibility Requirements from the Child Life Council
Child Life Course Work Requirement Policy
* All applicants for the Fall 2013 and subsequent exams will be required to successfully complete a minimum of one child life course taught by a Certified Child Life Specialist as part of this requirement