Dear Prospective Intern:
**We will be accepting applications for SPRING 2017 Internship**
Please review BEFORE proceeding: Pathway to Becoming a CCLS
Thank you for your interest in our internship program. Two Child Life and/or Recreation Therapy (with minor or strong emphasis in Child Psychology) interns will be selected for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Internship lengths are 16 weeks for Fall and Spring, 15 weeks for Summer, both 40 hours/week. Early application is recommended.**All TR students must be eligible to sit for both Child Life Council Certification Exam as well as NCTRC Exam.**
***ALL REQUIRED COURSE WORK MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO STARTING YOUR INTERNSHIP***
Students are required to have:
1. College transcripts (student copy ok) and a list of current course work. Eligibility Assessment must be up-to-date through the Child Life Council prior to internship.
2. A Medical Terminology course is REQUIRED for this internship. Also TR students focusing on dual certification are required to take both Child and Adolescent development, beyond the Life-Span course. **All TR students must be eligible to sit for both Child Life Council Certification Exam as well as NCTRC Exam.**
3. Minimum of 100 volunteer hours with well infants, children, youth and/or families AND additional 100 hours with infants, children, youth and/or families in stressful situations, health care settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs is required. Please send verficiation of the number of volunteer/work hours in each setting.
4. Mandatory readings prior to internship include:
Child Life in Hospitals Theory and Practice
Thompson & Stanford
Psychosocial Care of Children in Hospitals: A Clinical Practice Manual
Gaynard, Wolfer, Goldberger,Thompson, Redburn & Laidley
Meeting Children's Psychosocial Needs Across the Healthcare Continuum
Rollins, Bolig & Mahan
The Handbook of Child Life: A Guide for Pediatric Psychosocial Care (2009)
5. Two letters of recommendation. Professional letters please (one from a mentor/supervisor of a volunteer/work experience and one from an educational advisor)
6. A current resume (include education and field experiences).
7. Successfully complete child life coursework inclusive of the 6 applied areas of study, as required by Child Life Council
8. Child Life Council Eligibility Assessment
9. Confirmation of Child Life Coursework In Progress (Word)
10. Confirmation of Child Life Practicum In Progress (Word)
11. Health work requirements will be sent to you (upon acceptance to internship)
12. University contract with hospital (upon acceptance of internship)
13. Background Check (upon acceptance of internship)
Please note, the general/generic Child Life Council Internship Application WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED please apply HERE. Thank you!
***Please review Child Life Council's new deadlines for Internship Application process at
If after reviewing the following information, you are still interested in an internship at our facility, the application must be completed and returned by the following dates:
NEW INTERNSHIP DEADLINES
||Application, etc. Due
|Fall (Sept. - Dec.)
||1st Tuesday of May
|Winter/Spring (Jan.- May)
||2nd Tuesday of October
|Summer (May - Aug.)
||2nd Tuesday of February
After reviewing the applications, I will notify the top ten qualified candidates to schedule an interview.
Free housing, discounted lunches and parking are currently available to students (this could be subject to change)
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at (715) 387-7361. I look forward to hearing from you.
Heidi Giese, CTRS, CCLS, CIMI
Child Life Manager