Ministry Saint Michael’s announces Breast Care Patient Navigator Program
According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 230,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer were to be diagnosed among women in 2011. Abnormal diagnostic test results, surgeries, or a cancer diagnosis may be an overwhelming experience for patients.
In order to provide patients the best support possible, a team of experts from Ministry Saint Michael’s Hospital and Ministry Medical Group have developed a Breast Patient Navigator Program.
Patient Navigators are registered nurses who act as advocates for patients with abnormal breast findings or have breast cancer. The Patient Navigators are located in the General Surgery Department on the 5th floor. They are available to:
- Provide education to patients, families, and caregivers
- Schedule diagnostic testing and surgeries
- Help patients find their way through the health care system
- Identify resources for financial concerns
- Refer patients to community resources such as support groups
- Provide support to patients and families during hospitalizations
Our Patient Navigators, Kerrie Treutel, RN and Amanda Friese, RN, are available Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm, and may be reached directly at 715-342-7733.